Saturday, February 12, 2005

I'm done with the TESOL course, passed with flying colors, and now I'm in Monteverde. I came here pretty much with the sole purpose of going to Quaker Meeting and seeing what's up with that community here. The town itself is very touristy, although I don't dislike it, actually. I've found that here in Costa Rica, for some reason, I don't mind being a tourist. I guess it's because I don't really identify as Costa Rican, while in Mexico I do identify with that country.

Anyway, I got here at around noon today, after spending the morning travelling here. Because the roads are so bad and the bus system so terrible, I paid a premium rate to take a private service that takes you by bus to a lake, then across the lake by boat, and then the rest of the way by van. It's about half the time that it would take going only overland.

Once I got here, I had lunch and then picked out a hostel to stay at. It's a nice enough place. This town is absolutely crawling with foreigners, so the whole town feels kinda like a hostel. Once I had settled in there, I asked about where the Quaker Meeting was. It turned out that it was quite a ways away, but I decided to take the walk and go see the Meeting House.

Well, an hour and a half later, I finally arrived. The way there was quite rugged, with extremely sharp hills, and I actually passed the turn for the Meeting House, so I probably walked an extra kilometer that I didn't have to. But, finally, after a couple hours of walking, (as well as knocking on farm house doors to consult the locals) I was there. I arrived at the Quaker school. Strange thing was, no one was there. I was able to browse their library and wander through their campus, but there was no one present. It was kindof an odd sensation, like being in a real-life version of the computer game Myst, in which the whole game consists of walking around in buildings and places that have no inhabitants.

But, although the school was not occupied in that moment, it certainly had regular visitors. It looked quite active and well-maintained. There was a message board in front of the principal's office, which I checked out. And upon doing so, I saw something that interested me greatly. Recently posted was an advertisement for a Spanish and Social Studies teacher for the school, to start immediately. The requirements were: Degree in either Spanish or History (of which I have BOTH!), a two year commitment, and two years of teaching experience. Well, I don't have nearly that much teaching experience, but in every other way I'm the ideal candidate for the position, I feel.

I'm going to Meeting tommorrow morning, and I'm planning on looking into this job. In all likelihood they won't want me, but the way I bumped into this advertisement, just after having graduated from a program to teach me how to be a teacher, feels a little bit like fate. However, as I don't believe in fate, I'm not expecting anything. But, I must admit, I am excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home