Sunday, February 13, 2005

Well, I headed up to Quaker Meeting today. There were quite a number of people there, probably close to fourty or fifty, although I think about a quarter of us were visitors. I talked briefly with several members of the Meeting, including with one old man who was one of the original Quaker settlers here in Monteverde. He said that a lot had changed since the old days, and that the community was much less tight-knit now. I noticed that most of the non-visitors were Baby Boomers or WWII generation.

I tried to check out the position at the school, but did not have much luck, as the school's director was at the beach. I talked with a couple people on the school's board, however, and they said that the opening was for August, for a variety of positions, teaching grades 5-8 (yes... middle school!!!). The people I talked to said that I should email the school's director and look into it, although they said that I would be teaching English and Social Studies, since I am not a native speaker of Spanish and the kids are.

I was a little bit disappointed in the reception I got at the Meeting. I have to admit that I expected to be welcomed in, maybe even shown around town, maybe even given a place to stay. But I guess it's a bit much to expect from a Meeting that recieves so many visitors. Just cause I say I'm a Quaker does not mean that they are suddenly going to drop everything to take care of me.

When I got back to my hostel, I ran into a guy who told me that three other travellers were headed out tommorrow for Lake Nicaragua. I saw this as a sign, so I am keeping my eyes open for these travellers, and I will see if I can travel with them. It is always cheaper to travel in groups, and I would not say I mind company.

We will see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home