Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Today, I went to Kiosk, an English language school here in Xalapa, and interviewed for a job as a teacher. The interview went fine, I suppose, but the results do not appear to be what I would have desired. I arrived "a little late," apparently, as there are currently five teachers finishing their training and beginning work this Monday. However, my credentials were more than acceptable, and the school's director invited me to observe a class this coming Tuesday and to teach a lesson for them on Wednesday. I'm a little bit nervous, as the director only mentioned that he "might have something" after that.

I'm going to look into other schools here in Xalapa, but, honestly, it's slim pickings. I feel a little chagrined, having left the land of opportunties (Mexico City), where I could have made far more than double the salaries of Xalapa, to arrive in a place where it's questionable whether I can even encounter steady work. I love this town, but, while the capital of the state of Veracruz, its English teaching market is absolutely backwater. Even if I get work here, it will take months just to build up the money that I'm spending before I get work.

This is frustrating.

On the other hand, I'm in Xalapa, and I love Xalapa. Also, I have my friends, Miguel and Nallely to support me. These past couple of days I have felt very supported by Miguel, who has gone out of his way to help me look for an apartment and check out work. I'm writing this current entry on his computer; he gives me virtually unlimited access to the internet when I drop by his home. Very nice of him.

I'm going to do my best to make this situation work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home