Saturday, February 26, 2005

I woke up this morning to the sound of blaring "romantic" music, again. I thought it was coming from outside, so I got out of bed and headed around the block to talk with whomever it was that thought everyone needed to hear romantic pop music at 7.30 in the morning. Unfortunately, I soon realized that the music was coming from inside a house, so there was nothing I could do. I talked with César and Felix, who live in the room next to mine, and they say that the music stays on from early in the morning throughout the day. It makes me wonder what type of people need constant noise, constant distraction like that. Are they afraid of a moment in silence?

Yesterday evening was quite enjoyable and "signful" here in Masaya. I was thinking seriously about leaving today in the morning, but now I think I'll stay until Monday. Last night I went and hung out with César and Felix and we talked about a lot of things, mostly about travelling and how we want to live our lives, and about being artists. I felt that I was not an artist, but wanted to be one, and they said that I am an artist, because I write. I guess the difference is, they are able to sell their art (jewlery, etc.) in order to stay nomadic, while my "art" is without cash value.

Last night, I began to realize how much I want to live like César does. I would like to be as free as he seems to be, nomadic and without any fixed home. All that he owns he carries on his back, and he makes his way in the world selling his art (I bought a bracelet from him at a much higher price than I would normally pay for such things... But it's a really good bracelet!). I realized how tied down I am by my own possessions. I have material goods sitting, useless, waiting for me in THREE COUNTRIES (Costa Rica, Mexico and the US)! I would like to reduce my baggage, most of which is books. Books, so precious to me, are weighing me down. Anyway, I hold César's lifestyle up as my "ideal" in this moment.

One big reason I want to hang around in this town for the next couple days is to spend a bit more time with him. He said he'll teach me how to sew today, which I would like to know how to do, so that I can make some things for myself. If I had more time, I'd ask him to teach me how to make jewelry like he does, although who knows if he would accept? Many things to think about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home